Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Running in the fog

Once there was heavy fog at our house. Kirby was four or five. He had never seen it at all, and this was as thick as I have ever seen fog. He wanted to go and touch it. I yelled "Let's go!" and we ran up the road, and ran, and ran. About seven houses up we got tired, and I said "Look" and pointed back toward our house, which was gone in the fog.

I did not say "See? You can't touch it, really, it's touching us, it's all around us."
I didn't say "Let's don't bother, it's just the same wherever in there you are."

I let him experience the fog. He learned by running in fog and smelling it, and losing his house in it.



Learning to See Differently
photo by Sandra Dodd

2 comments:

  1. Love it! More and more I'm realizing how powerful it can be to simplify my verbal proclivities and also how diving right in (rather than expounding upon) something is the best way to experience life! Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I call myself an unschooler! Ugh - timely reminder! - Cheryl

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!