Thursday, August 18, 2011

Use your childhood memories

Just as the adult a child will be already lives in him, so the child you were still lives in you as an adult. If you have memories of childhood, examine them objectively sometimes when you're considering how to be with your own children.
. . . .
The list of things that marred your childhood can be your checklist of things to avoid or change or undo. The things that brought joy to you as a child can be things for you to do for and with your children, too, if you can.



from "Healing," on page 271 (or 313) of The Big Book of Unschooling
photo by Sandra Dodd
___

3 comments:

  1. Wise words. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find that last sentence is especially helpful. Over the years as a Mom, it's been easy for me to find damaging things I don't want to repeat with my kids, and the sadness gets in my way. Finding good memories I can carry into my kids' lives goes far to redeeming my own experiences, and softening my own pain from childhood. The older I get, the more appreciate being able to soften things.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe how timely this post is. This is exactly where I am right now,and what an eye opening experience it has been.

    Thank You,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!