Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Finding without searching

I'm bringing you three links today. First, a quote from an 1998 article I wrote called "Gifts for Guys to Buy" (written before Amazon, before Google, before online shopping):

There are some great commercial toys, but there are some that so many other kids also have that they become background. If you think back to your own childhood, there were probably a couple of special possessions you still remember or still have. Be flexible and open in your
shadows of junk at a flea market
search for gifts, and consider combining several things into one “kit” or “gift basket.” A magnifying glass and a compartmented box could be a rock or bug collecting kit. A flashlight, mirror and some colored lens covers could be an optical physics kit. I can’t predict what you’ll find that kids might love, but I can predict that if you forget to consider “non standard” sources for children’s gifts they’ll miss out on some memorable treasures! *

Looking to see whether I had already quoted that here, I found something else about gifts: Gifts, a Just Add Light post from December 2010.

But the reason I was searching for "search" was to announce that I have added, to my site's search page, a custom search that will check my site, Joyce Fetteroll's and Pam Laricchia's all at once. I'm sure you will stumble upon some gifts.

SandraDodd.com/search
photo by Sandra Dodd
__

2 comments:

  1. I love the multiple search idea! Three wonderful sites, one simple search bar! A great idea that is much appreciated and will be well used I'm sure. For the record, the second link, to the "Gifts" post is broken. Perhaps you could include "Just Add Light and Stir" in the multi-site search, and I could search for it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did add Just Add Light there. :-)
    It has been years, but I hadn't left a note here to say
    thanks for the suggestion!

    ReplyDelete

Please comment!